UNINETT Sigma2 AS manages the national infrastructure for computational science in Norway and offers services in High Performance Computing (HPC) and Data Storage. The services are organized into infrastructural activities, financed by the Research Council of Norway and the consortium partners, which are the universities in Oslo (UiO), Bergen (UiB), Trondheim (NTNU) and Tromsø (UiT).
The services are available to individuals and groups involved in research and education at Norwegian universities and colleges, and other organizations and project funded with public money.
Additionally, the company coordinates Norway's participation in Nordic and European e-infrastructure organizations and projects, like Nordic e-Infrastructure Collaboration (NeIC), Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE) and European Data Infrastructure (EUDAT).
The business is run non-profit. UNINETT Sigma2 is a subsidiary of UNINETT AS and its head office is in Trondheim.
Vision and goals
The vision of Sigma2 is to provide a permanent, predictable and cost-efficient e-infrastructure with access based on scientific quality in order to maximize the impact and return of scientific research.
Cost efficient development, procurement, coordination and operation of the national e-infrastructure for research and education is the main focus for Sigma2.
The main goals for the company's core service activities are:
- Procure, operate and develop a critical national infrastructure
- Promote e-infrastructure to new research communities
- Lead and coordinate participation in international cooperation within the e -infrastructure area
- Provide an attractive and sustainable e-infrastructure for all research communities, with the following characteristics:
- High reliability and availability
- Cost effectiveness
- Predictable access
- Interoperability within the national e-infrastructure (Notur/NorStore) and between national and international infrastructures (e.g. PRACE, EUDAT)
- Provide joint HPC and Big Data applications
In order to fulfill vision and goals the focus will be on development and delivery of effective, relevant and user-focused services. This requires a thorough understanding of the user needs which will be achieved by a proactive collaboration with the different user communities and Research Infrastructures (RI).