The Sigma2 Board of Directors approved this strategy in 2018. It applies for the period from 2019 onwards.
Our vision is to maximise the impact and return of scientific research by providing a sustainable, predictable and cost-efficient e-infrastructure.
Key strategic areas
Provide advance compute and data services addressing users`needs.
- Operate and develop a critical national e-infrastructure offering
- Compute services
- Data services (storage and data management)
- Advanced User Support
- Support services
- Compute services
- Be user-driven by being near users and survey needs
- Be a strategic partner to the universities
- Bring in new and proven technologies into the e-infrastructure to enable wider user
- Adequate funding
- Right competencies
- Active user participation
- Leadership involvement
Facilitator for international research services, cloud-based resources and common components
- Lead and coordinate participation in international cooperation for e-infrastructure.
- Enable access to special/extra resources and building of own competencies through participation in international e-infrastructures.
- Foster Open Science and international research collaborations through participation in Nordic and European initiatives with a priority on the Nordics.
- Ensure services follow FAIR principles.
- Provide researchers with easy access to cloud-based services and tools.
- Integration of the e-infrastructure with other cloud services, both commercial and sector-internal, to enable hybrid and elastic infrastructure.
- Availability of resources
- Govt. participation and policies
- Research access to public data
Combine Sigma2 infrastructure with the capabilities and competencies of partner institutions to achieve cost-efficient research services
- Centralise infrastructure and free up resources from operations to lower costs and expand high-level support.
- Leverage the distributed nature of NRIS to be near researchers.
- Combine technical expertise and understanding of the research process and research data cycle to create relevant and high-quality e-infrastructure.
- Offer underlying storage infrastructure for strategic research data services.
- Contribute compute resources and storage for research near the public sector.
- Be an active player in the HE&R and research-near public sector facilitating partnerships and collaboration to the benefit of researchers and the partner institutions.
- NRIS co-ownership and participation
- Shifting weight from hardware to service and support
About needs and funding in a long term perspective: e-infra 2030
Norway's current e-infrastructure funding is insufficient for future needs.
A national working group proposed a revised plan for sustainable financing and development of our services from 2020 to 2030.
In Sigma2 we live by the following 3 values:
- Customer focus
- Corporate social responsibility